NT Live Screening – Small Island
Date & Time
Friday 23rd Aug 2019
2:00 pm - 9:45 pm
An adaptation of Andrea Levy’s epic, Orange Prize-winning novel – an affectionate and historically important portrayal of the struggles of the Windrush generation.
A company of 40 tells a story which journeys from Jamaica to Britain, through the Second World War to 1948 – the year the HMT Empire Windrush docked at Tilbury.
Adapted for the stage by Helen Edmundson from Andrea Levy’s epic Orange Prize-winning novel, Small Island follows three intricately connected stories. Hortense yearns for a new life away from rural Jamaica, Gilbert dreams of becoming a lawyer, and Queenie longs to escape her Lincolnshire roots.
Hope and humanity meet stubborn reality as the play traces the tangled history of Jamaica and the UK.
A NT Live screening from the Olivier Theatre in London.
Please note: This production contains strobe-like effects. Also, as part of depicting the experience of Jamaican immigrants to Britain after the Second World War, at times characters in the play use language which is racially offensive.
all future events at Brolga Theatre and Convention Centre
- Herman's Hermits - The Six O'Clock Hop Australia 2019 - Wednesday 21st Aug 2019 - 6:00 pm - 8:15 pm
- Lee Kernaghan - Thursday 22nd Aug 2019 - 7:00 pm
- NT Live Screening - Small Island - Friday 23rd Aug 2019 - 2:00 pm - 9:45 pm
- Mamma Mia! The Musical - Friday 30th Aug 2019 - 7:30 pm
- Mamma Mia! The Musical - Saturday 31st Aug 2019 - 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm
view all Fraser Coast events