Hervey Bay Botanic Gardens, Elizabeth Street
Urangan, Hervey Bay
Situated on 26-hectares in Elizabeth Street, Urangan, the Hervey Bay Botanic Gardens display plants of the Wide Bay and Great Sandy Strait regions.
It incorporates the Orchid House, with a collection of around 20,000 orchids. Facilities include seating, toilets, tables, shelters and barbecues. The Bush Chapel provides an open air cathedral surrounded by rainforest trees for weddings.
The Hervey Bay Botanic Gardens is situated on 26 hectares of land located in Elizabeth Street Urangan and they are an oasis of peace and tranquility in an otherwise busy part of town.
The gardens feature plants and trees that are native to the Wide Bay and Sandy Straights region.
There’s on and off-street parking. The formal entrance to the gardens does not have off-street parking; this is located further down Elizabeth Street and is clearly sign-posted. You can also gain direct entry to the gardens from the car park.
The gardens are open every day from 6.30am and they are a perfect spot for picnics and BBQs. Gas BBQs are located in several spots throughout the gardens..
There are well-formed pathways to take you through the gardens and a wander through the gardens will give you a chance to see a wide variety of plants, bird life and aquatic life too. Linger a few moments on the deck that reaches out over the central lake and you will soon become an on object of interest for local tortoise population.
There is plenty of seating too throughout the gardens in both sunny and shaded areas and it’s easy to spend hours there doing nothing but relaxing.
Several years ago a formal Chinese Garden was added to the gardens and that has now reached the stage where the plants have matured and the garden is looking beautiful.
- Orchid House - Tuesday 21st Mar 2017 - 10:00 am - 11:30 am
- Beyondblue Botanic Garden tour - Tuesday 4th Jul 2017 - 10:00 am - 11:30 am
- The Good Dirt on Orchid Potting Mix with Sam Cowie - Thursday 10th Aug 2017 - 10:00 am - 11:00 am
- September Beyondblue Botanic Garden Tour - Tuesday 5th Sep 2017 - 10:00 am - 11:00 am
- Botanic Garden Guided Walk - Tuesday 3rd Oct 2017 - 10:00 am - 11:00 am
- Orchid Potting Workshop - Tuesday 10th Oct 2017 - 10:00 am - 11:30 am
- Getting Started with Native Bees - Saturday 18th Nov 2017 - 10:00 am - 11:30 am
- Picnic in the Gardens - Monday 25th Dec 2017 - 12:00 pm - 3:00 pm
- School Holiday Garden Tour - Thursday 5th Apr 2018 - 10:00 am - 11:00 am
- Food Forest fun for Children and the young at Heart - Wednesday 11th Apr 2018 - 9:30 am - 11:00 am
--- things to do ---