Queens Park, Sussex St
Queens Park was established in 1860 and many of its beautiful huge trees were planted before 1900.
Features of the Park are the fernery, waterfall and lily pond, lace-trimmed band rotunda built in 1890 and listed by the National Trust and the 13 centimetre Gauge Model Railway built by the Model Engineers and Live Steamers Association.
On the last Sunday each month the Association meet in Queens Park to relive the steam age in the chug of engines, the glow of brass and coal fires and the cheery sound of the whistle. Also to be heard and seen are Maryborough’s Brass Bands playing in the rotunda.
The Park is a cool retreat with a waterfall, flowers, shrubs and trees, it is situated within an easy stroll of the City Hall and overlooks the Mary River.
The First World War Memorial is situated in a dominant position at the entrance to the Botanic Gardens, surrounded by a low rock wall garden bed. At the rear of the memorial is a set of large swing gates of wrought iron painted white and bearing commemorative lettering and the Australian Imperial Force badge. The gates are flanked by Helidon sandstone pillars. The memorial stands 45 feet to the top of the obelisk and comprises a base, four statues and the obelisk surmounted by a Winged Victory statue.
It was added to the Queensland Heritage Register on 21 October 1992
--- things to do ---